University of Northern Iowa
UNI is a quality, state-supported university of approximately 13,000 students, located on the west side of the Cedar Falls Iowa.
A Brief History of UNI
In 1863, the Civil War Soldier's Orphan Home was established and later renamed the Old Central. The facility changed its focus in 1876 to education and became the Iowa State Normal School. The school was established to create qualified public school teachers for the state. Then, in 1909, the college was renamed the Iowa State Teacher's College, and in 1961 the State College of Iowa. The only surviving buildings on the campus now are the President's Cottage and Lang Hall. The first principal of the school was James Gilchrist and the first class included 27 students.
In 1967, the college officially became the University of Northern Iowa. Today the University enrolls approximately 13,000 students and has a faculty of about 1,700. The University has an undergraduate and graduate program and is comprised of five colleges: College of Business, Education, Humanities and Fine Arts, Natural Sciences and Social and Behavioral Sciences.
Visit the University of Northern Iowa website
Visit the UNI Panther Athletic website