Hard Surfaced Trails
Whether you're interested in walking, biking, snowshoeing or cross country skiing, the Cedar Valley Trails has over 100 miles of trails for you to enjoy - any time of year!
Choose your Adventure
A unique feature of the Cedar Valley Trails is that it’s a system of loops, allowing visitors to choose their adventure – whether it’s a one mile stroll around the lake, a ten mile run through George Wyth State Park, a 50 mile cruise around the Cedar Valley, or a hop from one restaurant or bar to another in historic downtown Cedar Falls, a variety of excursions are here to be experienced.
Click the map below to explore the various loops of the Cedar Valley Trails. To receive a hard copy of our Cedar Valley Trails & Recreation Guide, call the Cedar Falls Visitor Center at 1-800-845-1955 (319-268-4266), stop the Cedar Falls Visitor Center at 6510 Hudson Road or Contact Us and we'll mail a copy to you. Paved trails are indicated with a red line.
Bike Tech (217 Washington Street, Cedar Falls) offers bike rentals (in addition to standard bikes, they rent fat bikes, recumbent trikes, e-bikes and child trailers)
Europa Cycle & Ski (4302 University Avenue, Cedar Falls) rents showshoes and skis.
The Runner's Flat (120 Main Street, Cedar Falls) rents snowshoes and ice skates for your winter activities.
The UNI Wellness Center (2250 Hudson Road, 174, Cedar Falls) rents snowshoes and x-country skis.
Several organizations and local businesses offer annual and weekly events on the trails:
- Cedar Trails Partnership has a comprehensive monthly calendar of trail events. If you have a trail-related event to add, please click here.
- CVAST (Cedar Valley Association for Soft Trails) hosts several weekly events with local businesses including Two Wheel Wednesday, Waterloo on Wheels, Monday Night Mayhem Trail Runs, Dirt Diva Runs, Summit Summer Rides, All Lit Up rides and Fat Tire Saturdays.
- The Runner's Flat (120 Main Street, Cedar Falls) hosts Thursty Thursdays, Saturday TRF Breakfast Club, Monday Night Mayhem with CVAST and other various runs throughout the season.
- Bike Tech (217 Washington Street, Cedar Falls) hosts the Hammer Ride on Tuesdays, Two Wheel Wednesday with CVAST and the Pint Night Rides with SingleSpeed Brewing Co.
- Cedar Valley Cyclists hosts W.O.W. (Wednesday on Wheels) at 6:15 pm most Wednesdays beginning in May. Meet at the corner of 4th and Main Street in Cedar Falls and choose either a trail ride or a road ride. All skill levels are welcome. Check their calendar for additional events.
- Europa Cycle & Ski is also host to their weekly Gal's Ride. Every Tuesday at 5:30 pm, start and end at Europa. Enjoy a quick-paced 15 to 30-mile ride.
- Bike Iowa is another great resource for finding bike events in Iowa.
- The Iowa Games offers a Snowshoe Race (and family hike) and Fat Bike Race in January.
Run and ride events in 2017 include:
- Iowa Games' Fat Bike Race in George Wyth State Park on January 21 was cancelled due to trail conditions
- Iowa Games' 5k and 10k Snowshoe Races will be January 28
- Fool's 5K run by Trekman Racing on Sunday, April 1, at George Wyth State Park
- 10th Annual Shamrock Shuffle 5K and Fun Run is on Saturday, April 22, and hosted by St Patrick School in Cedar Falls
- Great Strides Walk on April 28 benefits the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Run 4 UNI 4 mile/1 mile will be April 29
- Bakery to Brewery Ride III is May 7
- 4th Annual Bark for Life walk is Saturday, May 13
- 14th Annual Run Like a Mother 4 Mile Run/Walk is May 13
- 7th Annual Ride of Silence will be May 17
- Cedar Valley Cycling for Veterans will be May 20
- 8th Annual Furry 5K Run/Walk to benefit the Cedar Bend Humane Society will be Sunday, May 21
- 2017 Cedar Valley Heart Walk will be held Saturday, June 3, at Prairie Lakes Park
- Inaugural SingleSpeed Beer Mile is June 10
- My Waterloo Days 5K Walk/Run is part of the My Waterloo Days celebration and will take place June 10
- Tour de Tush, a bike ride to raise awareness of colon cancer, will be June 10
- Sturgis Falls Half Marathon and 5K Runs will be Sunday, June 25
- Tour de Sturgis Falls Ride will be Saturday, June 24
- Cedar Valley Pedal Fest, July 1-2, will be a weekend filled with multiple bike rides (free)
- Accel Triathlon will take place July 8
- River's Edge 10K is a Trekman Racing event on July 15
- High Nelly Bike Rally is part of Iowa Irish Fest and will be held August 5
- CVAST's George Wyth Mountain Bike Race will be held August 12
- Gran Fondo Cedar Valley is a bicycle endurance event taking place in Cedar Falls and traveling to surrounding communities, August 19
- Crawdaddy Outdoors' Rugged Toad Adventure Triathlon will be held August 26
- Park to Park Half Marathon/10k/5k is September 9
- Cedar Valley Farm Ride III is a fundraiser for the Northern Iowa Food and Farm Partnership and will be held September 17
- W.O.W. Breast Cancer Awareness Ride is October 4 at 5:45 on 4th and Main in Cedar Falls
- Pink Ribbon Run in Cedar Falls will be October 7
- Cedar Valley Fall Endurance Festival, a celebration of adventure sports, music, food and great beer, will be October 14
- Santa's Snow Shuffle is held in December
We are Bicycle Friendly!
Cedar Falls was the first Bicycle Friendly Community recognized in Iowa by the American League of Bicyclists in 2009. A Bicycle Friendly Community welcomes bicyclists by providing safe accomodations for bicycling and encouraging people to bike for transportation and recreation.
Other Great Features
The trails have truly been incorporated into the community - lining the Cedar River, looping around lakes, crossing streams, and connecting with downtown entertainment districts, museums, hotels, restaurants and bars of Cedar Falls and Waterloo.
Prairie Pathways is a system of 78+ signs that provide wayfinding and interpretation of significant points along the trails, sharing the story of how the Cedar Valley was settled and how it grew to be one of Iowa’s most prominent metropolitan areas.
A system of emergency signage can also be found throughout the system making it easier to direct emergency services to your specific location should an accident occur.
The Cedar Valley Trails Patrol is a group of 25 members trained in rudimentary bicycle repairs and first aid. These dedicated volunteers serve as ambassadors and collectively provide an average of 300 hours of service on the trails each year. Trail Patrollers also call in reports on the condition of the trails, including repairs and issues resulting from storms, flooding, etc. These reports can be found here.
Cedar Valley Nature Trail
The Cedar Valley Trail system is also connected to the Cedar Valley Nature Trail, a 52 mile multi-use trail which leads to Cedar Rapids. This linear park runs along a converted railroad bed and features beautiful scenery and historical landmarks.
No motorized vehicles are allowed. Call 319-433-7275 for additional information about this trail.
Log Your Miles
The National Bike Challenge is a free, online program that encourages biking for transportation, fitness and recreation. Although you can join and log your miles throughout the year, the challenge officially runs May through September. You can join by visiting their website. It's free to register and a great way to challenge yourself. Join and then log your miles and monitor the leaderboard of your city, team or workplace.
Safety is an important aspect and can’t be stressed enough. While riding the trails, please be sure to:
- Wear a helmet
- Stay on designated trails
- Keep to the right
- Call out when passing
- Keep all pets on leashes
- Keep our trails clean
- Enjoy nature – please tread lightly
Cedar Falls is a Bicycle Friendly Community that embraces cycling as a form of transportation, too, but it’s a two way street! Street cycling is a right but it comes with responsibilities. Cyclists are subject to the same laws as motorists.
The Cedar Valley Trails traverses a number of jurisdictions, requiring a lot of collaboration. Local municipalities and organizations include:
- City of Cedar Falls Parks
- City of Waterloo Parks
- City of Evansdale
- City of Hudson
- Black Hawk County Conservation Board
- George Wyth State Park
- Cedar Trails Partnership
- Cedar Valley Association for Soft Trails
- Cedar Valley Cyclists
In addition to the Cedar Valley Trails, exciting cycling opportunities exist throughout the state of Iowa. In fact, we like to think of Iowa as the Trails Capital of the World! Visit www.iowatrails.net to see what we mean!
Trail Closure Information
The Cedar Trails Partnership maintains their Facebook page with up-to-date information about trail conditions due to weather damage, flooding and construction. You will also find helpful information about the trails, events and the trails patrol on their website. The Runner's Flat and Europa Cycle & Ski also post trail conditions.