Kayaking or canoeing water trails is a relaxing way to reconnect with nature and discover scenery not seen from any other vantage point.
Cedar Valley Water Trails Map
Take time to explore our emerging water trails in Black Hawk County. Our Cedar Valley Trails & Recreation Guide has a map of water trails on one side and our paved and soft trails map on the opposite side.
An interactive water trail map may be accessed here. To learn more about the water trails visit the Cedar Valley Water Trails website.
Pick up a copy of our Cedar Valley Trails & Recreation Guide at the Cedar Falls Visitor Center (6510 Hudson Road). Or, we'd be happy to send you a copy. Give us a call at 1-319-268-4266, send us an email or fill out our Contact Us form.
Iowa DNR Map
Click here to view the The Iowa Department of Natural Resources' map of the Cedar Valley Paddler's Trail. The DNR has other water trail maps available to view including the Cedar River Water Trail and the Black Hawk Creek Water Trail. These two maps are also available to pick up at the visitor center.
Water Trail Safety
Safety on Iowa Water Trails is important. Please follow these guidelines to keep you and your family safe:
- You are required to have a Personal Floatation Device in your boat
- Always portage at low-head dams
- Limit alcohol consumption
- Keep in mind your ability level. Experience paddlers have learned to "read" the river. Beginners should always paddle with someone who is an intermediate or advanced paddler
- Be aware of water conditions. The water temperature and rate of flow play a role in in determining conditions and flooding of waterways can happen quickly
Water Trail Rules
- Respect private property
- No littering or dumping
- Plan ahead and prepare
- Pack it in, pack it out
- Properly dispose of what you can't pack out
- Leave what you find
- Minimize use and impact of fire
The UNI Wellness Center in Cedar Falls (2250 Hudson Road, 174) has canoes, kayaks, paddleboards, tents and more available for rent.
Cook's Outdoors in Cedar Falls (1910 Center Street) offers kayaks and paddleboards from their location at Big Woods Lake.
CrawDaddy Outdoors in Waverly (207 E. Bremer Avenue) also offers a wide range of outdoor recreation equipment for rent including canoes, kayaks and tents.
Maxx Rentals is located at the beach in George Wyth State Park in Waterloo. They rent kayaks, canoes, paddleboards and river tubes.
CrawDaddy Outdoors offers special events and demo days. Check their website for a list of their most current events.